Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Curses of my Major

Ok, so there are a lot of things in my life that have changed since I switched to flute performance which I think you might find funny.

I had the option of parting my hair on the other side to get rid of my callic. However, I have to continue parting on the left side because I tilt my head right when I play and if I part on the right the excess hair goes into my eyes and mouth while I play

When trying on shirts, the first think I do is put my arms in playing style to see if I can play in it, since i practice daily, if it's not playable, it's not worth it.

I now cannot sleep in past 9. I usually wake up at 6 or 7, hopefully 6 so I can be in a practice room by 7. Once I went to bed at 9 and woke up at 4 but stayed in bed til 5... I got to the practice room by 6. Yeah... it's bad.

The other day I was havin a conversation with my roommate. I would be performing 3 times in 2 days, so she was asking me about one performance, and I was answering for another. I was confused by her questions, she was confused by my answers.

Mom and I are going to New York for spring break. We will see 3 musicals and see all the sights and everything. The highlight of my trip: Visiting the Manhattan School Of Music and hopefully getting a lesson with one of their flute professors for less than 100 dollars. Yeah, I'm excited about school.

This summer, I will be playing at my cousins wedding, and I was SUPER excited when she asked me. When I'm in New York, I will also go shopping for music. Mom has to keep herself from swearing when we pass a music store, because I always go in for hours. In New York, they have streets full of music stores. She doesn't even try to resist.

Flute players are VERY in tune with their mouths. I haven't worn my retainer since I got my braces off because my ortho said I didn't need to. I have recently felt my teeth shifting (a very minute bit, but boy can I feel it) and it was messing up my embochure. So I went to the orthodontist and recommended a retainer. They found it humorous that I actually went in on my own accord and ASKED for a retainer. I got it today, and I was sooo excited. The ortho who checked me out (different than my first) said that I had teeth shifting and I said "I know, that's why I came in." It was funny. I also promised to be their pickiest customer.

I can keep a practice journal better than a regular life journal. I write in it at least once a day. It's a pretty big deal. I write at least a page per practice session. I love practicing too. There have been times I've forced myself to stop so I could make class (and yes, I have skipped class to practice a few times.. sorry mom)

3 comments:

LORI said...

You are insane! The flute truely rules your life

Sara said...

i have always believed that you should do whatever your passion is...and i believe you are doing it! you play beautifully cassie! that practicing is paying off...and now that i live closer to you, i hope to hear you even more!:)

Cheri said...

I wish I could play anything as beautiful as you do. You are so talented.