Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I'm a Symphony Member!

Today we had auditions for the Idaho State Civic Symphony. For auditions, we had to perform 4 orchestral excepts. They included Beethoven's Leonore Overture No 6, Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of the Faun, Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dram, and the exhibition to Mozart's Concerto for Flute in G. These are all intensely hard pieces that I have been practicing for a year and perfecting. This took a lot of work and a lot of practicing. AT the auditions, I was VERY nervous! There were 4 people going out for 1 chair - one of them was 60, one was 30, and the last was nearing 24 and just graduated with her music degree. Needless to say, I felt at a slight disadvantage with myself only getting ready to begin sophomore lessons. However, I just got a call from my flute professor. I was one of the 2 best auditions! What they decided to do is to give the technical chair to the 30 year old - and I made what's known as a 'sub list'. However - my professor will be putting me on at least 2-3 concerts this year. In fact, if I hadn't rushed (which I was doing because I was nervous), I would have been the only one to make it! How exciting is this?! How great to see those hours of practice paying off! If only I'd spent a little more time with a metronome... but that's ok! I made it!!!

Oh and yes - I did cry when I found out. The only times I've ever cried from joy have been flute related.

No comments: